Thursday, May 22, 2008

Our Final Day Produces the Fish for Film

Hey Guys our second day highlight was two stripers in the jigs all day without a fish caught. It was as tough as I have seen it in all my trips down here.  Sorry I didn't Blog, I figured I wait until the fishing heated up.
On our third and final day we awoke to 20 to 25 knots of wind which turned things around in the water and got the fish up in moving. We needed two fish to get the film done and the old Lighthouse produced abundant action with those two fish being the fruits of our efforts. We caught the two fish on the jigs, both on the long out rigger, one on the left and one on the right, they ate a jet head rigged with a dead ballyhoo. This was the first time ever in all my years I had used them in Mexico and the baits worked great, both fish coming back for a second lick that ended in a caught fish. Both fish were caught on a 665 two speed with a new prototype handle that was just right for the task at hand.
We saw a lot more fish today with three fish being lost on the jigs and another 8 fish in the jigs taking a look around. I am telling you without the wind today we were on our way to a bagel(big Zero). The fish gods blessed us and the film is in the can. 
If you haven't been to DA Ranch (Rancho Leonero) you definitely have to go. John Ireland and his beautiful wife Jen are the most gracious hosts I have ever been privileged to stay with. I will definitely be back for another trip and make sure it is in season. The stripe marlin fishery as well as the sailfish is phenomenal starting in April through June and the Blue Marlin show up in July and August, but there are fish here year round of one species or another. 
This trip also saw myself and Jack fish together for the first time and we worked hard to catch the fish we did. 
I feel blessed to work with a man that has the same passions I have and with two sons that can make dreams come true. One of those dreams is the 197 2-speeds which is the sweetest little reel on the market. I am not bias or anything.
I will get some pictures up on the blog as soon as I get home. We have had some problems with there size and being able to down load the pictures and post them to my page.
Well its been real and I look forward to my next trip in the near future.
Until then, I hope all your lines are tight ones. Hope all is well with you and yours.


No comments: