Monday, August 25, 2008

A Day on the water with the Uncle Al

Saturday was a beautiful day on the ocean and myself and close friend Uncle Al as he is known to the kids fished in the SWBA Dana point Calico tournament which saw a good turnout. Fishing was less than spectacular for most of the field and we had a couple stones to ourselves and were able to scratch a few fish that weighed a whopping 11 1/2 pounds good enough for 10th place.
Our two biggest fish came in 40 feet of water on swim baits with the rest caught on the beach on jerk baits. Its fun to get out and do the tournament gig but it would be much better during the winter months when the pelagic species are not here.
The tournament ran smooth and a 20 lb sack took the honors. These guys run a good tournament and everyone that fishes in them enjoys the camaraderie among the anglers involved. The best thing is the fish are all released back out of the harbor.
Well I have a couple more trips coming up in the near future and look forward to filling you in as they are happening.
Tight lines.

Ben

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Landlocked Salty Dog here. I'm about 200 miles from the salt which means there is no local source for tackle or advice. I heard last year I should try a swim bait on Albacore in WA (live 'chovies being the usual). Fishtrap was advised. The Fishtrap webpage is lacking by thier own admission. An online vendor offered some color and size selection so I ordered a few, one being a BS Special. Now I see your name for the second time at Accurate. Is the Ben Secrest the ideal FT for all species, all times of year? Can you tell me why no matter how poor my cast was I hooked up right away? Some drag, a little more than I needed to retrieve. On exactly 3 casts I lost three fish/lures in a row and went back to live bait and never lost another fish. The first FT I lost to my knot on a coastlock swivel, next was an improved clinch directly on the leadhead, the last was a Palomar. One parted above the knot a short way, the other 2 at the knot. In all cases a way into the fight, the last one a little bigger fish (or so I thought) that I thought was tired out and coming back to the boat for what I expected was the last time. Never put any more pressure than when using live bait. So, I have no idea whether to use a swivel or not, what knot to tie, how much drag should I initially use. The leader was 30# fluoro on 20# albies. Thanks, Desert Pirate